Monday, November 2, 2009

"Opting out"

I recently had someone say that they were "opting out". This completely blew my mind. I began to ponder this idea and began to see this idea everywhere. Each of us can be seen as guilty of this. Opting out of a friendship with a male or female. Dating relationship. Committed relationship. Engagement. Marriage. Children. Families. Time commitments. Hobbies. Jobs. Careers. School. Internships. Church. Anything and everything in life has somehow become a choice.

We stop loving.
Leave.
Act out of anger.
Hurt.
Abuse.
Switch.
Change.
Distort.
Yet Blame others.

Our love and compassion for others has merely disappeared within our society that is instant gratification based and simply pleasing ones self.

Caring for another...who cares?!
Where does it get ME?
How does it benefit ME?
What will you do for ME?

Our love which was once unconditional (Agape- Christ-centered love)and offered to everyone is now conditionally-based on how do I benefit and what I get....

An eye-opening reality...

Now I see, now I change. How to learn, move, grow...still unsure how or what it will look like yet I move forward. An honest effort to go against the grain and be different yet real. What a challenge I face.

No comments:

Post a Comment